Take Action Today
- Learn about the Earth Charter Initiative and endorse the Earth Charter.
- Join the National Coalition for Pesticide-Free Lawns.
- The impact of climate change falls heaviest on the world's poor. As Catholics, our faith demands prudent action. Visit Catholic Climate Covenant: follow St. Francis' Pledge to Care for Creation and the Poor.
- Act locally.
View The Story of Stuff, a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world.
Strategies that Reflect Vision and Principles
- Promote the environmental vision and principles of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia through its internal and external communications: Community News, website, OSFConnect, Good News.
- Promote the ongoing environmental activities of Franciscan sponsored ministries through environmental auditing, consultation, and ongoing education.
- Identify, create, and maintain sacred spaces throughout the properties owned by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.
- Maintain and enhance areas identified as woodlands, wetlands, and meadows as a wildlife sanctuary. Implement integrated pest-management and other practices that promote ecological balance.
- Maintain the woodlands, wetlands, and meadow areas as a wildlife sanctuary.
- Promote and demonstrate healthy living through: organic farming (Red Hill Farm CSA), promoting Red Hill Farm educational activites, encouraging healthy nutrition throughout the congregation based on eco-justice values, maintaining a pesticide free environment, and monitoring and evaluating all purchases for their environmental impact.
- Delineate and clearly define land use and access for congregational and public use so to enhance community collaboration, preservation of the integrity of the land, and privacy.
- Prepare for possible transfer of motherhouse property to future generations who will exhibit a Franciscan world view.