Strategies and actions that guide the congregation’s environmental mission:
- Promote the environmental vision and principles of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia through its internal and external communications: Community News, website, OSF Connect, Good News.
- Promote the ongoing environmental activities of the Franciscan Sponsored Ministries through environmental auditing, consultation, and ongoing education.
- Identify, create, and maintain sacred spaces throughout the properties owned by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.
- Maintain and enhance areas identified as woodlands, wetlands, and meadows as a wildlife sanctuary. Implement integrated pest-management and other practices that promote ecological balance.
- Maintain the woodlands, wetlands, and meadows areas as a wildlife sanctuary.
- Promote and demonstrate healthy living through: organic farming (Red Hill Farm CSA), promoting Red Hill Farm educational activites, encourage healthy nutrition throughout the congregation based on eco-justice values, maintaining a pesticide free environment, and monitoring and evaluating all purchases for their environmental impact.
- Delineate and clearly define land use and access for congregational and public use so to enhance community collaboration, preservation of the integrity of the land, and privacy.
- Prepare for possible transfer of motherhouse property to future generations who will exhibit a Franciscan world view.